Wednesday 22 February 2012

Waiting !

I dislike waiting. I'm sure many dislike it too. Waiting for a reason feels a little better. In the sense, for example, you know someone is going to be late (because they were civil enough to inform you about it). So it kind of reduces the pressure on the mind about what is happening and you are aware of the fact that you need to cool off for a while. 

What doesn't feel good or right for that matter, is when you don't know what you are waiting for. Christmas maybe :-S. Like two days ago, I asked my boss if we should proceed with the dissection? He, of course, shares a lot of enthusiasm for work (something I will talk about at length some other time). His quick reply was "yes why not". Then he started staring into his computer. I vellaofied in his cabin for sometime to see if he would jump out of his seat. He didn't seem like he would. Now he is the boss, so I didn't even feel like asking him why he was still glued there ! Worse is, it went on like that for another hour. I kept hopping in and out of his cabin. Still nothing was moving forward. I kept resuming to my quarters in the common lab. The problem is I need to know! I must know if it will take time, or we are not going to do the work, or he is busy, or he forgot and needs to be reminded, etc. A little more waiting and I'm sure one could have seen steam coming out of my head. Actually, if that were true, I wouldn't have been a water balloon that I'm right now :-P. I felt like a kid who was promised a cookie from the jar on the topmost rack and I'm waiting for it to be handed down to me. Not understanding what was the delay for and therefore greedily and expectantly looking at the person for some level of enlightenment on the whole situation. That is how I felt :-P.

I don't understand this constant need to know. It is the same with almost all the things I do. I need to know. If I don't then I go mad, angry, irritated, feel dumb, get bored, try calling friends, ask around for help, do all sorts of haath pair maarna and then finally implode! If at this point someone questions why I hadn't approached the person to start work, I get bombarded into smithereens in my surreal head ! Bottom line, I HATE WAITING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to ask you why didn't you simply ask that person.. after he said sure and started staring into his computer... "well, boss.. I thought you said we can do the dissection?? am i missing something??"

Anyways.. its normal re... its too obvious to tell why... and I too get irritated when ppl simply dont tell why they are not following things up... but usually I am straight fwd with them and tell ki "dude I was expecting you wld do this, so whats the problem...??"

Simple it is... and there really is no other option than to ask it off...

big comment huh...!! :P


Bharat

SSK said...

So what finally happened re: the dissection? (I, too, am one of those who Needs to Know.)

Shalini Mahadev said...

@ bharath - I guess i didnt want to get too bossy with my boss thats why re ..because generally he is like really quick on things ...so i didnt want to be too ...whatever ...u know what i mean ... :-/

@Su - dissection of the locust didnt happen .....but guess what the amplifier of the electrode went kaput so he dissected that instead and the whole day was just gone into those never ending chapters from "electricity" he practically revised all of it ! :'(