Thursday 14 February 2013

Funny Girl 

I was watching Funny Girl yesterday, and I have been watching a lot of classics off late, including musicals. 
I realise that I love musicals, although I haven't really watched them exhaustively, I'm quite happy with the ones I have.

What makes them nice (for me)? Well they are a nice mix of lyrically put verbal vaagjal. I have always admired the beauty of the minds that are able to come up with such imaginative ways of expressing simple things in life. To notice the beauty in everything. To align words beautifully, to even think of it! Not to mention composing them with great music and having a person sing it the way it should have been sung. Art!

But the one thing I didn't really have an appreciation for was writing about what the poet really means in his lines. I used to like reading poems, period. What do you think of this? What could this mean? How can you relate this to this and that? What is the theme/tone/etc etc? Some of these are pretty simple, but some of them call for your guesstimates (yes, it is a word). How can someone possibly put themselves in another person's shoes who belongs to a different time, age, and other differences of the sorts? 

What inspires people really? I'm told it is passion (more often than not), but what drives it? How does it begin? I wonder, brainwise, what makes someone more poetic than the rest. There seems to be some sort of a pattern. A lot of poets and singers who write their own songs seem to have died at a very young age! The other day I discovered the existence of this young and really talented singer(according to me). I liked her music a lot, it was refreshing to learn that I can tend to like such music too. But then very abruptly I thought that maybe she will die soon too. Now, I know shub shub bolo, but I couldn't help it. 

I wish I was given a job where I only watched movies, I might get bored sometimes, but it would be a cool thing to do. 

P.S. following are the songs I liked for their funny composition, both the lyrics and the videos :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4pYENXT9Ek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olKEitXfREU

No comments: